S.C.Pannell the label was established by Steve and wife Fiona in 2004, but Steve's journey to winemaking really dates back to 1969, where as a toddler he grew up on one of Australia's most iconic boutique wineries, Moss Wood in the Margaret River.
The S.C.Pannell winery was realised to focus on Stephen’s passion for the McLaren Vale region and its ability to produce dry - grown and environmentally sustainable Shiraz and Grenache.
In 2014 a new home was established at 60 Olivers Rd McLaren Vale, including cellar door, restaurant, and wedding venue.
Steve's holistic philosophy to winemaking starts with our climate, empahasises the importance on the vineyard, as well as wine's relation to food we love to grow, cook, and eat.
Stephen Pannell was recently named Gourmet Traveller Wine 2015 Australian Winemaker of the Year.
Establishing his own label, S.C.Pannell Wines in 2004, Stephen with wife Fiona, have recently opened their long awaited cellar door in the heart of McLaren Vale.
Stephen’s extensive winemaking knowledge and experience has been garnered over years working with some of the world’s most prestigious wineries. He was Chief Red Winemaker at BRL Hardy from 1999 to 2003 and has worked 14 European vintages in Burgundy, Bordeaux, Barolo and Priorat.
Stephen’s career highlights include:
- Winning the title of International Red Winemaker of the Year at the International Wine Challenge in London
- Twice winning the Jimmy Watson Memorial Trophy at the Royal Melbourne Wine Show
- Receiving the trophy for the Best Wine at the Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show, three out of the past five years
- Twice winning the Max Schubert Trophy at the Adelaide Wine Show.
- Twice winning McLaren Vale's top award, the title of Bushing King, both in 2011 and more recently in 2015
- Being named one of the 50 most influential contributors to the world of wine by Decanter Magazine
- Being voted by his peers as one of the top 10 winemakers in Australia (The Age Goodfood Magazine).